Friday 15 April 2011

MACRAME - time for a reappearance ?

Goodness it has been a while hasn't it !.....


What do you think of this little fellow ? He is made from macrame, when I think of macrame I think of those tiered hanging plant holders, which always seemed to have spider plants in them, were there no other house plants in the 1970's ?


Owls too, made up in natural coloured string and mixed in with brown wooden beads......



This is something different altogether, you could almost say it could make macrame 'cool' again....

I spent a lovely morning making these and turning them into key rings/zip charms, it reminded me of making friendship bracelets, and then I realised that they are made using macrame too !

Find a great, easy to follow tutorial here at

ArtMind





7 comments:

  1. Oh I just love them.... and NO! there were no other plants in the 70s as I was a young married woman in the 70s and my house was filled with spider plants old and baby ones.... but I do remember a Bizzy Lizzy one summer so perhaps that was progress...
    Take care, keep safe, be happy.
    Beverley xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I remember turning the kitchen chair upside down on the table and using the legs to tie string and 'do' macrame. I like what you've done. Fun fella.

    Don't forget Cheese Plants. They were popular in the 70's also. btw Spider plants are very good at clearing the air of pollution. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember making Macrame hanging baskets with mu mum, and loveing every moment of it!

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved my macrame plant holders in the 70s! And yes, there were other plants besides spider plants, lol, I had some really exotic trailing plants. Hmmm, perhaps one ought to start macramemania all over again.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the little macrame people! Hope you and the family have been keeping well and you're selling lots of your makes! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely an improvement on 70s macrame. Hoping you are enjoying the Easter holidays. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that takes me back, macrame pot holders - I was a whizzz - spider plants, crimpolene and cheescloth, Brutus jeans..... sigh, wish I'd known then what I know now! Love Artmind!

    ReplyDelete