Saturday 6 February 2010


This has been my project for this week, it is a cot quilt for my niece who is expecting her fourth child in May, she knows that she is having a boy and wanted to go for a yellow and green colour scheme in the nursery. I told her that I had a lovely green, blue and gold fabric pack from http://www.saintsandpinners.com/ it is called 'Botany' and as far as I know is still available. It is made up from Anna Maria Horner Good folks range, olive and gold from Amy Butler and Parkslope leaf dot green.

I had wanted to have a go at making a 'proper' quilt and thought this cot quilt was the ideal size to practice on...

I used proper batting for the first time (Hobbs Heirloom), I went for 100% cotton, there are lots of different types and it is quite difficult to know what to go for, but I think I made a good choice because it really was a dream to sew. I bought myself a walking foot as well which does make the job of quilting so much easier.


I even managed to bind it, finishing it by hand on the reverse side, although I have now found a great tutorial for machine binding on http://www.redpepperquilts.blogspot.com/. so will give that a go next time....



I have learnt a few things as I have made this quilt; I think it would have looked better if I had chosen a toning green thread for quiting the squares and I made the binding to wide, making it wider on the back of the quilt that the front and the most important thing I learnt is that you have to be EXACT when cutting out....


All these things will be rectified on the next quilt I make, and it just shows that you really do learn as you go along......

2 comments:

  1. It's lovely, although the need for accuracy would terrify me! The choice of colours and patterns is wonderful, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful colors and a terrific quilt. Your quilting really highlights the pattern. Yes, accuracy is important but it looks like you did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete