Tuesday 19 October 2010

FRESH AND FUNKY QUILT BLOCK BEE..

Owls is a tree block...



This is my October block for the Fresh and Funky quilting bee, it was Cat's turn this month and she wanted tree blocks to make up in to a quilt inspired by 'The seasons' quilt in Material Obsession two...



Cat had some great inspiration pictures on her Flickr, I was particularly taken by this girl on  a swing picture...



There is a great tutorial for this HERE. The block is made using raw edge applique and free motion stitching..

I was not sure about the block at first as you can obviously see the raw edges of the squares used for the background, but now I really like the messiness of it..


The block will now be flying across the other side of the world to Cat in New Zealand, lets hope that she likes it....

16 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW!! This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how could she not?!? It's fabulous!

    I was thinking of doing something similar... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing! Love the fabrics you've used and those little owls are so cute. The pink fabric really looks good, something I would have been too scared to do. She'll love it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! Don't know how you can bare to give it away! You are so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment.
    I love it. I shall try when back to normal : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is AMAZING I LOVE LOVE LOVE it
    WOW WOW WOW thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! I love the colours and the littel owls in the tree are very sweet! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute Maria , love the addition of the owls , great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely, you clever thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt block........fantastic.
    florrie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Aneela's girl on a swing pic (one of my Flickr faves!) and I love your take on it, maria. The raw edges add to it's charm. I'm sure it will be adored with it's new owner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lovely. What a clever technique. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is fabulous! I love the background and the high contrast fabric for the tree is perfect! Your partner is sure to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is really nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This block is so gorgeous!!! She'll love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a great block - I remember seeing these pop up on flickr and loving them.

    ReplyDelete